Saturday, March 12, 2011

Johnston Jottings

Annie Walker Johnston
LHS Class of 1954
The management of The Leavenworth Times asked me to do a column for the paper, and I have agreed.
This is an attempt to introduce myself to the readers, and ask for your help.
The columns that I plan are to be about what is right about Leavenworth, and the long history of our community. People are always mentioning various facts to me, and I plan to use some of these.
I was born and raised in Leavenworth, the daughter of Edna May Walker.
My father Junior Lewis Walker died when I was four years old. Mother needed to go to work, and was hired to be the deputy register of deeds, by Ed Sutton.
Therefore, I grew up in the courthouse, meeting a good many important people, from judges, attorneys, law enforcement, and city, county, and state officials.
Mother took me to various events, including political, and official meetings, for example: the dedication of the Centennial Bridge.
I met many state dignitaries, such as Kansas’s governors. I watched Dwight Eisenhower from afar, and shook hands with the candidate Richard Nixon.
When I married Johnny Johnston, I had yet another adventure ahead of me: watching history being written both at The Leavenworth Times, and in the several books that Johnny wrote.  I was able to go with him on a lot of news events, such as the covering of the devastating fire that happened at the Old Cathedral.
Since his death, three years ago, I have been attempting to keep his/our business Leavenworth History alive. With help, I produce historical calendars, and help other authors with their work. Also, I work with the Chamber of Commerce with historical bus tours, enjoying it very much.
I am an admirer of Charles Gusewelle. His most interesting columns are about his personal recollections, and those about animals, both wild and domesticated. I hope to follow his example with some antidotes of my own. One of my future columns will be about memories of being in Leavenworth during World War II.  That is where you might come in. Please write about your memories and submit to me at the paper.
I will have a place there where you may leave your memories about the war and any other local topic that you think might work in the column.
As an example, I attended Howard Wilson School, and in the first grade, my teacher was Minnie Mae Mennesson.
One very cold and snowy day, I wore slacks to school, and was told never to do that again. Snow pants were OK, but only when we were outside.
Girls did not wear slacks to school, only dresses. We did not have ‘snow’ days – or school buses.
We walked to school, and walked home, no matter what the weather. Very few people had cars. We walked, or used the city bus.
My husband, Johnny was first a photographer for the paper, then rose to news editor, and later to publisher.
What a fun time that was for me. I enjoyed almost every minute.
There were times when I would take a picture, or write an article – now here I am back to doing the same thing.
Hope I can say in a few years that I enjoyed almost every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment