Monday, November 12, 2007

The Old Vet


Donning his uncle's World War I helmet, retired Navy Lt. Cmdr. Beau Kansteiner (LHS Class of 1952) watches the Navy contingent pass on Esplanade Street during the Leavenworth County Veterans Day parade Nov. 12. Kansteiner served for 34 years in the Navy; his uncle served as a sergeant major in France during WWI.
Beau's comments: I'm not sure I want my weathered face floating around an "internut". I wasn't very happy as my 1941 Jeep bailed out on me (fuel line failure) so it wasn't able to be in the parade. Therefore the M2HB stayed home. However it was a great parade (over 230 units). The WWI helmet was my Uncle Al's (89th Div. from the St. Charles, Missouri area), my mother's brother (Wallenbrock).
Ft Leavenworth Lamp photo by Prudence Siebert

Read more: BEAU...

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful picture; great story!

    Mary Dirkx Jorn, class of '68

    ReplyDelete