Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Kay White Edmonds - LHS Class of 1956

Kay W. Edmonds, 82, passed away Wednesday, December 9, 2020 in her home located in Leavenworth County.
Kay was born on March 29, 1938 to Clifford and Helen (Weaver) White in Osawatomie, Kansas. She was one of five children.
Kay shared some life events with her children that were pertinent to her, we thought you would enjoy these:
“There was a small store on the corner of 4th and Pottawatomie, where the owner saved one piece of bubble gum for me when he received a shipment (during the war). I went to the store with my penny to buy it and started chewing it. Skipping back home, I swallowed it!
While I was walking through the park, a snake ran through my legs and we just knew that I was so lucky as being close to water, we knew it was a water moccasin?? As I remember the old times we had NO supervision. No one worried about us.
I walked EVERYWHERE…. To school, to work (except babysitting up North) no matter the weather.
I loved to skate. At first I would skate up/down on Ohio Street and sing "bluebird's on my shoulder". The cement was rough and I wore out the wheels… you could see the ball bearings. Then my grandparents gave me 2.00 for new ones. You probably have never seen "old time" skates! In my H.S. days, I spent most of my time (when not working) at the skating rink. And then you all will remember going skating every Sunday (family night) at the rink. So much fun.
While in H.S., I had several jobs. One job was at Hallmarks when it was North (by the bridge). It was from 5 to 9 P.M. and only teens worked there. We stood at tall desks and folded paper. We made our quota or more but still had lots of fun…. Especially the last day at work. 
So I quit skating and started dancing and skiing. Skiing being the best thing ever.”
Kay went to the Cathedral School when she was young then switched to Sacred Heart Schools. In middle school she was switched to public schools. She graduated from Leavenworth High School.
Kay worked for numerous places including, Hallmark, NuWay (where she made 40 cents an hour plus tips and bonus milkshakes), House of Fabrics (where she received a pearl necklace in a beautiful blue velvet box (much later baby Debbie broke it)), Montgomery Wards (where she sold toys), Manufacturer State Bank, First National Bank (where she worked 18 years), and she was an accountant for Lansing Board of Education.
She enjoyed many things especially, roller skating, dancing, and snow skiing.
Kay is survived by three children, Deborah Kay (Larry) Sheets, David Richard (Jeannine) Edmonds, Stephanie (Randy) Dentinger; eight grandchildren, Roger Dean Eagle, Jeffrey Mark Eagle, Ryan Eugene Edmonds, Stephen Wesley Perrin, Jr., Matthew Newton Munsterman, Dustin Burns, Rita Kay Edmonds and Elizabeth Therese Edmonds; 10 great-grandchildren, 4 great-great-grandchildren; three siblings, Judith Lucille King, James Melvin (Donna) White, and Ronald LeRoy White; son-in-law, Newton Munsterman;, and many numerous nieces and nephews.
Kay is preceded in death by two children, Barbara Charice Munsterman and Susan Marie Burns; brother, Charles Clifford White; and brother-in-law, James King.
We would like to give a special thank you to Crossroads Hospice for their exceptional care and compassion to mom while granting her final wish of staying at home until the end.
In lieu of flowers memorials may be given to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation www.cff.org

1 comment:

  1. Kay's recollections of her youth in Leavenworth reminds The Old Man of that award winning Disney movie of the late 40s, "Song of the South".

    ReplyDelete